My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Torino - Venturing Out

I've started my (nominal) 12p to 12a shift at the IBC, and things are much quieter today since competition has started (everybody in production is too busy doing what they're supposed to be doing, rather than worrying about Comms, which are, and have been working fine).

Since I had some time this morning, I ventured out into the area around my Media Village (in search of the laundromat that does bulk "wash and fold" for 3 euro per kilo). After dropping off my laundry, I wandered down to the Olympic Stadium and took some pictures of the flame...

Flame

On a side street just off the street in front of the stadium there was a busy little impromptu marketplace (which they setup and tear down every couple of days). The market stretches for about 100 metres or so, and probably has at least 50 vendors...

Market

The market had vendors for toys, costume jewellry, leather goods, jeans and T-shirts, vegetables, cheese, nuts and dried fruits, meats, and even "fresh" seafood...

Fish

Walking past the market I came across an old Church. This church has bells that chime (quite loudly and long) on the hour and the half-hour, and it is right outside the back of the Media Village. Fortunately, I live closer to the front of the MV, and can't hear the bells from my room. I would have ventured inside, but today is Saturday, and I think there was a mass about to begin...

Church

Finally on the way back to catch the bus to the IBC, I came across this fellow on the sidewalk outside a sporting goods store. This is about the extent of the snow left in Torino after several days of +8C or better...

Snowman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home