My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Torino - Oh look, they have pizza!

Well, here I am in Torino!

I left on February 2nd at 2pm from Toronto to NY (JFK), and then had a 4 hour layover before my flight to Italy at 8pm. Both flights were great, and only about half full, so there was room to curl up and sleep on a pair of seats for the 8 hour flight. I woke up after sleeping for about 3 hours, just as morning was breaking and we were starting to pass over the Swiss Alps. Wow! What a view! It was just miles and miles of mountains, snow covered, with lakes and valleys, and small villages nestled in between them.

After landing in Milan at 10am local time (4am back home), we had a nearly two hour bus ride to Torino. It was really sunny and the bus got very hot inside (even with the window curtains closed). We could see the mountains in the distance, but the weather was very nice on the ground (about 8C and clear). The roads here are very narrow (even the highways) and there are no shoulders. Our bus was trying to pass a big truck, and there was literally about a foot between the vehicles, and another foot or two between the bus and the concrete divider on our left.

They took us to the NBC Field Shop (where all the supplies are stored), and gave us our SWAG ("Stuff" We All Get). It was a pretty good set this time. All the clothing is Nike, and we got a navy blue winter jacket with a zip-out (and separately wearable) lining, a red turtleneck shirt, a grey mock-turtleneck shirt, a pair of snow pants, thermal long johns, a thermal undershirt, a pair of winter ski-gloves, and another thin set of gloves (that can be worn inside the ski-gloves). We also got a funky lined hunter-like hat with ear flaps. Everything has the NBC Torino Olympic crest on it.

From the Field Shop, we got transported to our Media Village in mini-vans. I'm in the Riberi Media Village, which used to be a military hospital that has been renovated for our use, and will be turned back over to the military after the Olympics. It's a really neat looking set of buildings, most of which are connected by a big glass enclosed walkway. My room is bigger than in Athens, although decorated in much the same minimalist way. The washroom is much bigger than Athens, and I have a bathtub, sink, toilet, and a bidet (Crocodile Dundee's favourite bathroom appliance).

The Media Village is outside the downtown core in a kind of drab area of town, although it is almost right across the street from the Olympic Stadium (for opening and closing ceremonies) and close to the pillar for the Olympic Flame. After checking in to the Media Village, I hopped a shuttle bus to the IBC (International Broadcast Centre) which is where I'll be working. This is a 4km drive, but takes about 25 minutes. I had to activate my credentials (and get them to change my name from David to Sean), and then went in to meet all the friends I only get to see every two years in COMMs.

After getting settled in, and finding my bearings inside the NBC portion of the IBC (which is huge), we called it a day at about 8pm and headed out for dinner. I've actually been here a few days now, and have already had dinner outside the IBC more times (twice) than I did the entire time in Athens. The food has been terrific (OK, I had pizza both nights). It seems that the city is filled with "Pizzerias", and the restaurant signs rarely even mention the name of the restaurant, but have "Pizzeria" in neon lights. The NBC commissary opened yesterday, so there will be fewer chances to eat out in the future. On the other hand, the NBC commissary looks like it will be far better than in was in Athens. Since I am going to be here for 28 days, I think I have a pretty good chance at breaking my University record of having pizza 21 days in a row!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean - I'm loving the "blog" format & I love the photos of Caitie!! Go, Canada!!

Suzanne

3:02 PM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Thanks Suzanne!

The women's team won again today (8-1) against Sweden!

I picked up something for you and Howard that I'm sure you'll like: A Team Canada Hockey Media Guide (with profiles of the entire Men's and Women's teams).

P.S. Your friend Michelle visited Andy's Lymphoma Blog and sent him a really nice email, which he appreciated.

3:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home