My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Sunday, February 05, 2006

Andy Morris' Lymphoma Blog

I was inspired to try blogging by Andy Morris who was the NBC Project Manager for Communications in Atlanta when KVS was finishing some software (that had been started by another company) for a new Telex product to be used at the Olympics.

As the deadline neared, I ended up making several trips to Atlanta for last minute debugging. Ultimately, the product worked (with a few scares), and Andy was appreciative of the effort we had made.

Although there were no new product or firmware issues in Sydney, Andy thought it prudent to have a software support guy on-site, and I was invited to go. Since there were fewer software issues, and I really liked being at the Olympics, I decided to find a way to make myself useful enough to continue to be invited back to future games.

Andy (and the rest of the Comms team) let me start helping out from an operations point of view, so that I could become a regular member of the Comms team (with the added bonus of being on-site to tackle any software issues that might arise).

Here is a photo of (from left) Andy, Project Manager for NBC Olympic Comms, Greg Aull, Technical Director for the Conan O'Brien Show, and Jeff Baker, Maintenance Supervisor at WNBC in New York. We are sitting at the patio bar at the Media Village in Sydney.

Andy

Since then, Andy has invited me back to Salt Lake, and recommended to his successor that I be brought to Athens, and now Torino.

Andy is a great guy, and a smart manager who created a very capable Comms team with different areas of expertise. I am grateful to Andy for getting me, and keeping me, involved in the Olympic Games.

Recently, Andy has suffered a recurrence of Lymphoma, a cancer that he had contracted and beaten 15 years ago. He now lives in Colorado, and is recuperating from a treatment of high dose chemotherapy, followed by a stem cell transplant (his own cells, previously harvested).

Andy has been keeping a blog detailing his saga, which, as I said at the start, was what inspired me to try bogging about Torino. I hope you will visit Andy Morris' Lymphoma Blog and wish him the best on his recovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home