My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Friday, February 24, 2006

Torino - Square Pegs

Ok, this is just a collection of photos that didn't really fit into a post of their own, but that I thought were interesting enough to write about (showing some of the craziness that surrounds the Olympics).

First up, if you've watched any of the Speed Skating, you'll know that the fans from the Netherlands are insanely supportive of their team, and always dress in orange (despite their flag being red, white, and blue), as the original royals were from the house of Orange. I ran into some fans on the street...

Orange

NBC did one of their "Chevy Moments" on the Orange Dutch fans, and afterwards, Tony slipped into the studio to put on the crown that Bob Costas had been wearing...

Costas

Things are going very well here, and everyone is starting to get a little stir-crazy. We have six television monitors on top of our COMMs equipment rack and they are difficult to control because they all use the same remote control, and they are located so close together that changing channels on one, often changes one or more other sets. The guys on the overnight shift usually find something creative to keep them going through the night, and came up with this solution...

Phaser

Note the stylish detailing on the side, and the sighting scope on top! There's even a plastic diffuser cap on the end, and, incredibly, the thing works very well!

I'm beginning to be able to find my way around the city and have been using the public transit system. As I was heading downtown a few days ago, I came across the Olympic mascots in a piazza where I changed buses...

Mascots

When I got downtown, I stopped by the set of NBC's TODAY Show, to check in with their COMMs manager and talk about a small problem they had the day before that appears to have been solved by swapping out one of their VOIP cards. Yes, I have another dorky hat...

Today

Lastly, as I headed back into the IBC, I ran into another "celebrity" (well, I recognized him, even if nobody else here knew who he was, even after I told them his name)...

Mystery

Do any of you recognize him? I will provide clues in the comments if no-one can guess. (No, it's not Borje Salming).

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean,

I have no idea. How about a clue?

Susan

5:06 PM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Thanks! I thought no one wanted to play...

He is from the former Soviet Union, now a member of parliament in the Ukraine, and a current IOC member.

He was a summer Olympic athlete, but didn't have as much success at the Olympics as he did at World Championships.

He also set 36 world records in his career.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

He was a pole vaulter...

8:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its Sergei Bubka

2:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home