My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Torino - Italian Wine

As some of you may know, Susan and I used to make wine from kits at home before we moved to Newmarket. We had always stuck to the familiar; Chardonnay, Riesling, Cabernet Sauvignon, etc... But one day while looking for a new varietal to try, the store owner suggested a wine called Barolo, about which I knew nothing, but that he raved about. I thought that before spending $80 on a kit, I would buy a bottle to see if I liked it. Well, the cheapest bottle at the LCBO was over $40, so I decided to skip the bottle and make the Barolo from the kit.

It turned out to be the best wine we had ever made, and became my favourite red wine. Barolo is known as "the king of wines, and the wine of kings". It's expensive because it comes from a very small region in Italy, which just happens to be Piedmonte, which is also where Torino is located. I actually didn't know this before I got on the plane to come here, but read about it in the Delta airline magazine.

In addition to Barolo, this region is also famous for Barberesco, Barbera, and Dolcetto. I have been able to sample the Barbera and Dolcetto (from vintner Fontannafredda, the official Olympic Wine Sponsor) at the Media Village bar, but had not yet had a chance to try the others. My gift package from TOBO (the Torino Broadcasting Organization) included a coupon for a free glass of Fontanafredda Serralunga d'Alba Barolo at the Piedmonte Food and Wine pavillion downtown in Piazza Castello (which is where the Medals Ceremonies take place).

This morning, at 11:30am (which is when they open), I went in to try their Barolo and was blown away. It is such a full tasting wine, without puckering you up with too much tanin. I am not a wine snob by any stretch, and certainly am no poet in describing the taste, but I've always tasted dark chocolate in the Barolo, and sensed vanilla in the aroma.

Wine

Fontannafredda used to be a very good winery that had been founded by the son of the first King of Italy. It had fallen on hard times, but was rescued by a Bank which now runs the winery. Recent wines from Fontannafredda have had good reviews, as evidenced by this review of a 1999 Tenimenti Fontannafredda Barolo "La Rosa".

I was thrilled to find a bottle of 1999 Tenimenti Fontannafredda Barolo "La Villa" (a gift from TOROC) in my room at the Media Village a few days after arriving, but I am saving that for Susan and me when I get home.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the comment... here's what babelfish translated it as:

Sean - thankses for the turn of the wine.... you have not had to buy two cases - one sar? abundance:)) The blog it is bringing back loaded with the memories.... They have not been to Turin (Turin) during 12 years but when I was working for GODDESS, I must spend (in the total) 4 months l. The lotteries of the lunches but of you of transactions are successful to see devout? of the cultural one in two weeks that I have seen with all. You would really have to try your hand to the drive in Turin.... The Italians are driver many bonds but confronted to our norm, it seems and a lot? completely insane. To times I wonder if the term "... that one yellow light? just a suggestion." it came from Italy.

Did you write it in Italian yourself, or did you have it translated online?

Note that DEA got translated to GODDESS! :)

I'm only allowed to bring back 2 bottles, but I only have one so far. And yes, the driving here is crazy, why bother with lane markers?

2:26 AM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Hi Kevin,

Susan also said something about you and hats, but I haven't seen any pictures. Did you send something to me?

7:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home