My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Torino - Not Just a Ladies Man

So just to prove that I'm not just looking for photos with the pretty women...

Last night I walked out of the IBC and rode the bus back to the Media Village with Ian Hanomansing, host of CBC's Canada Now, and roving reporter here in Torino for CBC's Olympic Coverage.

Ian

He was a really nice guy, and chatted with me (and two other CBC staffers) on the way home about the Women's Hockey team, and all the other Canadian success stories so far.

We also talked about an incredible mishap during practice for the Men's Aerial competition, when Canadian Jeff Bean had BOTH of his skis fly off right after taking to the air off the ramp! I hope you got a chance to see the replay of this, it looked amazing. Fortunately, he was smart enough to continue with the moves, and landed on his rear end, but it could have been a lot worse.

There has been a steady stream of tours through the NBC facility, and most of the peer through the glass window that separates COMMs from the BOC. Dave Mazza, Senior Vice-President of Engineering for NBC Olympics was giving a tour this morning to a group of Canadians (either from the CBC, or from Vancouver 2010) and when they peered into COMMs, they saw the Canadian flag I got from Canada House and posted on the wall here...

Flag

Dave must have explained that I am Canadian, because the tour guests banged on the window, waved and gave me the thumbs-up, and then one of them slid open the door and shouted "You Rock, Sean!". That was pretty cool!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rockin Sean

Let's always brag about being Canadian.

Sandra

11:23 AM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Hi Kevin,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sample the Barolo yet. The MV bar only serves Barbera (and sometimes Docletto) which are both very good. I need to get out.

I did get a gift from TOROC (the Torino Organizing Committee), which is a bottle of 1999 Barolo (Fontanafredda Tienimenti, La Village), but I am saving that to bring home for Susan and me.

Cheers - Sean

8:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taling with with Ian Hanomansing! Cool!

12:49 PM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Doug, are you mocking me? :)

4:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home