My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Monday, February 20, 2006

Torino - Olympic Update

Canada picked up a couple more medals the last few days, and just missed the podium today on excellent runs in the Ladies' Super-G (Kelly Vanderbeek, only 3 one-hundredths of a second from Bronze) and the Men's Giant Slalom (Francois Bourque, who was first after the first run, but fell to fourth after the second). In the Men's Giant Slalom the course was very difficult today as 34 of the 82 starters did not complete the first run! Eric Guay of Canada also finished fourth in the Men's Super-G earlier this week.

Yesterday, Cindy Klassen won her third medal of the games, a silver, in the Women's 1000m Speed Skating. She missed gold by only 4 one-hundredths of a second, but set a record for most medals by a Canadian woman at the Winter Olympics.

Also yesterday, Pierre Luedders took silver in the Two-Man Bobsleigh. There may be a controversy building here, as there have been allegations the gold medal winning German team may have been using an illegal friction reducing implant on their runners. It was surprising that the German's maintained their lead after nearly falling at the start of their second run.

Last night's Original Ice Dance competition was disasterous for most of the top contenders, including the Canadian pair, Patrice Lauzon and Marie-France Dubreuil, who skated beautifully until a painful looking fall late in the program. Since many others also fell, they are still in sixth place going into the Free Skate, although I've just learned that they have withdrawn from competition due to her injury.

Tonight, the Women's Hockey team plays Sweden for the gold (note: don't click the link if you don't want to know who won yet). Sweden was an upset winner over the US, and every one here is still reeling from the Men's Hockey losses to Switzerland(?) and Finland.

It's also interesting to note, that as of tonight, Canada and the US are tied with 14 medals each, although the US has more gold than we do.

I managed to find my way to Canada House yesterday, which is located in a gorgeous palace in downtown Torino. Canada House is open to any Canadian with a passport, and many atheletes, coaches, and their families stop by for free food, (non-alcoholic) drinks, and a rest in front of several wide-screen TVs. They loaded me up with a pin, a very nice flag, some smaller paper flags, some literature and a luggage tag for Vancouver 2010.

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy Morris said...

Hi Sean,

I can't see a lot of the pictures -- they all come up with a little box with an x in it and I right click on the box and choose "Show Picture". This worked until "Alcove 4" and then I couldn't see that picture or any of the dozens of pictures that followed. I especially wanted to see the picture of you as chick magnet/stud. I don't know if it's my browser or something with the blog.

I saw an interview with Tanith Belbin on NBC where she spoke about holding up Ben Agosto (up until Dec 31, 2005) since she didn't have US citizenship and what a great guy he was to stick with her even though she might have been preventing him/them from competing in the Olympics.

I've gotta believe the Canadian view on this is that he should be apologizing for holding her back since he doesn't have Canadian citizenship and what a great woman she is for sticking with him even though he might have been preventing she/them from competing in the Olympics. Is that the case? Is their resentment towards Tanith that she's competing as a US citizen?

Andy

2:19 PM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Hi Andy,

You might have to refresh, or perhaps try again later. With all the traffic that my site has been getting, sometimes the site that hosts my photos says I've exceeded my allowable bandwidth! It's working for me right now, but I haven't cleared my cache to try again.

I don't think there's any real resentment to Tanith Belbin, as she'd been living in, and training in the US for quite a long time.

There might have been some frustration that the US Senate would speed up the process for her, so that she could compete, meanwhile in Canada, it looked like a Bob-sledder looking for Canadian citizenship might miss out because no-one wanted to make an exception to the time required to get him in. (Not sure how that turned out either).

I saw Emily Hughes in the IBC leaving the NBC studios, but didn't recognize her until I had walked another 100 feet or so, and didn't want to run back. She was with her family, so I would even have had an excuse to talk to them by mentioning you.

Hope you are well!

Cheers - Sean

3:10 PM

 
Blogger Andy Morris said...

Hi Sean,

I checked out your blog tonight (12 midnight Mountain Time). This time all the picutres came through. Incredible picutres, keep it up -- I especially liked the pictures of the mummy, Elizabeth Manley and Catriona LeMay Doan (not in any particular order).

Andy

2:06 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home