My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Torino - Hurricane Catriona

I had a pleasant experience today on my way over to check out the CBC plant within the IBC. Chuck Roberts works for Telex (the company for whom we write the intercom software) and is here supporting NBC, as well as the other broadcasters using Telex products. He was going over to the CBC to see how their system is working, and invited me to come for a tour (and to introduce me to the CBC COMM's guys who are mostly based in Montreal).

On the way there, we bumped into CBC announcers Catriona LeMay Doan and Steve Armitage. Catriona was a Gold Medal winner in Nagano and Salt Lake City, the Canadian flag bearer in Salt Lake, and has held numerous wold titles and world records in long track speed skating.

They were both friendly and quite accomodating, posing for a picture (cropped to show Catriona and me) in the hallway outside the TOBO tech centre. After which we walked down to the CBC together and chatted on the way. I asked her if she missed the competitive skating; she does, but she thinks it's weird people keep asking her if she's upset that she's about to lose her Olympic title. She said that while she won't be the reigning champion anymore, she still has the Gold Medals, so what's to be upset about?

Catriona

My guess is that she is smiling so brightly because of the lasting charismatic effects of me having worn the magic NBC hat this morning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she's smiling because she got you to pose topless, I mean hatless.

JamesM

8:05 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great window into the Turin Olympic experience, Sean.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful comments and great photos.
We're looking forward to seeing you back in Newmarket.
Robin Wardlaw

2:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home