My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Torino - Pizza of the Week!

Ok, it's Wednesday, and Barry has been pleading with me to take pictures of the pizza, so here are this past week's contenders in order of preference leading up to the winner.

6th place: Chicken, Basil and four cheeses. Interesting, but not that exciting...

Chicken

5th place: A standard pepperoni and mushroom pizza, nothing special, except that the mushrooms are amazing (as evidenced by last weeks mushroom and onion winner)...

Pepperoni

4th place: Eggplant, spinach, and toma cheese. I'm not a fan of eggplant or spinach, but this was actually pretty good...

Eggplant

Bronze: A classic; meatballs, green peppers, and sweet onion...

Meatball

Silver: Missed winning by a very narrow margin. Sausage and padano cheese, wow, this was very, very good. The cheese tastes kinda like sharp, old, white cheddar, and the sausage (I think) is the same as what I was raving about in my previous post about food...

Sausage

Gold: This week's winner (and this is strange coming from a carnivore like me) was a vegetarian pizza that had brocoli, tomato, red pepper, sweet onion, and gorganzola cheese (I think it was the cheese that won me over)...

Veggie

Are you happy now Barry? The cooks in the commisary think I'm nuts, but at least they expect me to show up with a camera at lunch time now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bronze: Green onion? Looks like green pepper from here.

12:48 PM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Oops! I had onions on the brain, they are really tasty. (I fixed the post, thanks!)

1:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean,

I can't believe you actually liked a veggie pizza. I'll have to get some gorganzola cheese.

Susan

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is great. It covers so many different topics I never know what to expect. Keep it up.

Sandra

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Andy Morris said...

They are serving these in the NBC Commissary??!!?? Boy, they almost want make me want to be in Torino! The picture of the sausage and padano cheese pizza makes my mouth water.

On another subject -- From where I'm sitting south of the Canadian Border, the best and most entertaining show NBC has done is Olympic Ice on USA Network at 4 pm Mountain Time. I'd never heard David Pelletier speak before and am tremondously impressed with how articulate, funny and inteligent he is. And his wife's pretty cute too.

Andy

12:13 AM

 
Blogger Sean McKinnon said...

Upon review, I think perhaps we have a scandal brewing. The sausage and padano cheese pizza was so good, and I finished it so quickly, that perhaps I didn't have the time to give it the full marks it deserved.

The gorgonzola cheese has a great taste, and the tomatos, onions, peppers and mushrooms are so good here (although there were no mushrooms on the winner), I think we might have to award two gold medals, ban the French judge, and change our scoring system for the next Olympics.

3:48 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home