My company writes software for the communications systems used by many broadcasters, including NBC, who use a large system for covering the Olympics. This is my 5th trip to the Olympics providing support to NBC inside the IBC, and these are my ramblings on what's going on in Torino and at the Games.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Torino - Signing Off

It's been a long haul. The Closing Ceremonies are over and we are just packing up and getting ready to head home. Thank you all so much for reading my blog, and for your supportive comments and emails.

I've never had a smoother Olympics from the COMM's point of view, and although NBC had some issues with the extensive use of High Definition (HD) programming, I think in general they are very pleased with how things worked, and the ratings for their network and cable shows.

Because there are so many "day part" shows on the various NBC channels, and there so many people involved in getting these shows on the air, they spread the closing credits out across all channels. Obviously, the most important people get their credit at the close of the Prime Time coverage. This year, the Engineering and Maintenance staff got their credit on the USA channel (at 6pm EST yesterday).

Tony's friend Nick, who I went to the hockey game with, is now back in the US and used TIVO to capture the closing credits, and sent us this image...

Credits

As usual, NBC managed to screw up my name, but at least they got it right on the Sports Emmy award I received last November for NBC's Technical Team Studio during coverage of the 2004 Summer Games in Athens.

We also have been receiving a series of encouraging emails from NBC Sports and Olympics Chaiman, Dick Ebersol. Here is a copy of the last one...

Dick

Lastly, I want to thank all the members of the COMMs crew here in Torino...

Crew

From left to right, me, Tony Kremer, Chuck Roberts, Bob Gilmartin, Jess Heimlich (Project Manager), Craig Slayton, and Jeff Baker. Jeff has also been posting of his Torino adventure on his web site (which I list in the links section of my side bar).

These are all great guys, and fun to work with. We all bring some expertise in various areas which is part of the reason that things run so smoothly in COMMs.

Thanks again for reading. Looking forward to seeing you all at home.

Susan, Connor, and Caitie, I miss you lots and I'll be home soon.

Love you! - Sean

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean - thanks for another fantastic Olympic experience!! We loved the Pizza of the week, gold silver & bronze!! Thank you for taking the time to do this - it was so entertaining!!

Suzanne, Howard, Gordon & Victoria

9:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sean

I really enjoyed this blog. I checked in every day. What a hoot!

Sandra

9:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sean,

Just want to say thank-you for a job well done on your blog. Loris and I really enjoyed the pictures as they brought back good memories of our time spend in Torino this past summer and fall-winter.

Don and Loris G.

12:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home